Let’s not get TOO personal though, shall we?
2010 was the year of the Road Trip for me, and culminated in me compiling a top 5 wilderness moments post which sat on the front page of WordPress for Christmas and gave me a heady (but short lived) rush of hits. It was an incredible one, with 5 months of travel, a new city to live in and discover, new friends to meet and make and a shift in career.
- Write a short story
- Record podcasts
- Host a weekly radio show
- Create a stop motion animation, which kicked ass
- Write and record for an innovative project on PLoS blogs, of which this was the highlight (Anna = amazing)
- Complete a MSc in Science Communication with Distinction
- Play in the Sci Comm band at the end of year party
- Get nominated for a Bloggie award, and be pushed to blog higher-quality stuff (for a while at least)
- Learn to boulder moderately well (I’m more proud of the fact I’ve stuck at it and learned, not so much where I’m at…)
- Get a job, some of which involves basically the coolest stuff I could hope for in a workplace
It’s a very different list to the previous year (and by no means complete, but there’s more personal stuff that I don’t really feel like blagging on the ‘net!). Last year was about where I went and what I did; testing my confidence in myself out in the wide world. This year was applying myself to think and create, and exposing the results to scrutiny, albeit mostly mild!
What am I going to do in 2012? I’ll have to think about that more closely – there are huge question marks, because my job is only guaranteed until April, and I know there’s a good chance I’ll be back in Australia by 2013. Perhaps Wales (where I am now, posting this phantom-like, three days in the future) will offer a window into my hopes and dreams…